Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I like....countdown signals

True, there's probably no traffic light in Chennai that looks as good as the one in this picture. They're usually a sorry, weather beaten bunch, whose lights don't always work. But that's a story for another time. On Wednesdays, I'm trying to remain positive.

So - on the days that they do work, I find I'm rather fond of these countdown signals. Except for those inevitable few who try to zoom past in the last few seconds, I think it does create some calm and order among most people. Motorists are no longer revving their engines and blaring their horns while waiting for the lights to turn green.

But my most favourite bit about them is the fact that some of them tell you to "RELAX" when the lights turn red. With all the maddening traffic around me, it somehow always makes me smile :) There's some typical Chennai wisdom for you.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, that's true :) Never thought about it that way. I do like them though.

    I also do like frustrating the a-holes behind me by not budging when there's 5 seconds left on the clock.

    ReplyDelete