Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Installations


In the last couple of years the Corporation seems to have stepped up its efforts to beautify the city. There have been some bad decisions, but I don't think that this is one of them. These sculptures, by students of the government college of fine arts, now decorate various intersections in the city. I wouldn't say that I love them, but at least they have a connection to the local culture and aren't loud or garish.

The one on top is located near the gate of Loyola College (thanks to Ranjani for the picture), and the one on the left is at the Gemini Flyover. It's not such a great photo, but I had to put it up after all the trouble it caused me - I nearly had my camera confiscated by the guards at the U.S. embassy. Apparently there's no photography allowed in the vicinity. I wonder how they enforce that!

There are a few more of these sculptures in the Nungumbakkam area, but I can't recall any others. Do you know if there are any? What do you think of them? Please leave your comments or email me at childofchennai@gmail.com .


No comments:

Post a Comment